Friday, October 21, 2005

redwoods in California

Redwoods?!
Maybe my darling colorblind dad had a point when he got his crayons mixed up as a kid.

We took a guick weekend-trip: flew from Dallas to San Francisco on Saturday morning, rented a car and took the road north. On Saturday night we slept in Gualala looking out over the Pacific with a local disturbance involving a naughty man, an alleged prostitute and a policeman happening right in front of our motel window - who needs tv?

Sunday night in Calistoga turnied out equally exciting with some kids giving us the fright of our life knocking on our door in the middle of the night.

Had breakfast in a beautiful place that mayors as a bar at night I suspect - (impressing cocktail menu for a coffee-shop) with amazing Spanish quitar music playing in the background...I am still waiting for the waitress - Aida - to email me the name of the cd...perhaps I should just give up on that...

Drove back to SF, had lunch at the Warf - got some info on harbor maps to sail in to this port area, had a close encounter with a giant seal sun-taning in close proximity - dropped off the car during peak-traffic and flew back to Texas on Monday evening.

What an adventure traveling up Highway 1 from the city, cut accross toward Napa and coming back south again - my first official driving experience on the 'other' side of the road here in the States.

Whenever the psycho drivers here in Dallas freak me out, I think back of getting to the airport in one piece on a highway with twelve lanes going in both directions, and all impulses of intimidation dissappear.

Crowning this whole experience was having a South African dentist, now married to a Canadian filling the right seat next to me. What a lovely conversation we had while tracking the inflight-movie via the Vietnamese lady to my left who watched the 'Fantastic Four' at top volume.

Felicity also grew up in my home town and we both graduated at the same university there. What are the odds? My dad had a seat further back and was unaware of our connection. She was a few years younger than him and about ten older than me, so we decided that our trick might work. She walked back to greet him in our home language, introducing herself as one of his ex-girlfriends in his student days....by the time she reached his seat though, she was laughing so much that she couldn't pull it off...

(I still can not figure out how the spell check deal is supposed to work on this thing!)

No comments: