Friday, October 14, 2005

my country my history my people


www.sagoodnews.co.za
Generally people fear what they don't know. Unfortunately they are usually unaware about how little they understand about their greatest fear. It could be a natural phenomena like the ocean or hurricanes or driving a 'stick car' as my local neighbors say. It could be intangible entities like God or cultures or worldviews.

Currently my dad, Louis, is in Chicago for a conference and he called me a few minutes ago. He shared a bit about what he heard there today and was supprised that both main speakers for today and last night started their presentations talking about one of my heroes, namelly Nelson Mandela-an incredible human being with the largest heart imaginable.

These guys (the speakers) were using bits and pieces of my country's expensive learning curve without ever experiencing what the reality looked like. They made American assumptions about all sorts of aspects that contributed to the success story of how South Africa became the "Rainbow Nation". Describing how they understood when and where racism was expressed or not, without ever paying the price of being either black or white or coloured in whichever way one can describe ethnic differences.

I immediately decided to post one of my pieces about Madiba (his nickname back home - after the name of his Xhosa clan). As much as Michaelangelo left a legacy of visuals speculating about concepts we find in the Bible, Madiba is still a living example of grace and mercy. Some outspoken (academic) theologians believe beyond any doubt that Michaelangelo's soul is doomed as some Americans here in Texas ask me (a white, minority class South African) questions about Madiba with a similar hushed uprehension as if he is the devil himself.

I choose to look at how the fruits of these men's lives affect mine. When I think of how I stood in the Sistene Chapel in Rome on two occations, neck aching while I try to take in the overwhelming view around me, I see God's beauty and grace in creating a human with such talent-whether there is a difference between decorating a holy space and painting ikons on the windows. In 1998 I was priveleged to see the legende, Mr Mandela himself, only a few feet away from me at my university in hometown Pretoria. The love and acceptance I feel from my fellow (black) South Africans when I get to go home during my studies here in the States exist among other reasons because this humble freedom fighter paid with his life to achieve his ambition of true democracy for all. When I think about the freedom and peace I feel when walk through the passport control at Johannesburg International, I want to get on a plane right now!

The peace and reconsilliation in my country came as a result of a man named Madiba who chose obey a loving God and modelled forgiveness to all of us.

We use a term in our country to describe our sense of community (we have 11 official languages and even more people groups-the average South African can talk 3 different languages) called Ubuntu. It means "I know who I am because we know who we are."

I am so proud to be part of that history and hope. Only 68 more days before I can set my feet on African soil again!

1 comment:

Matt said...

Hello!

I am contacting you because I am working with the authors of a book about blogs, and I'd like to request permission to use the photograph you have posted in this book. Please contact me at matt@wefeelfine.org, and I'd be happy to give you more information about the project. Please paste a link to your blog in the subject field. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matt