Tuesday, October 18, 2005

afraid

I am less afraid when I can see all the way to the horizon. Like a lioness seeks out a high vantage point over the plains to plan her kill – I flee from this foreign forest of concrete and noise to higher laying hide-outs to brace myself.

I fight my anger caused by strange foods, misunderstood words and unexplained behavior that hurt my heart. There are few things I fear though. Death is not one of them – I have seen it too often. Loneliness doesn’t threaten me anymore either – I have adapted to it’s demands of solitude. Its peaceful silence has become a cave where I can contemplate whatever is scaring me. When isolation is not available I get onto my hind legs, claws revealed and attack until I am left alone. Fear is defeated by an instinctive knowledge of the threat.

I have studied the American way of life closely for a year now. I have learned much about surviving this country. Don’t expect her to understand me and don’t try to understand her culture in terms of mine. Stay at a safe distance, observe the busy valleys carefully, but visit the high grounds often. Most importantly, always remember the big picture – He said; “Fear not.”

2 comments:

Toph said...

This was my introduction to your writing style...I couldn't believe what I heard then and probably what I'll hear today...

Zebrasbark said...

thanks mate, you are too kind...keep pushing me to do more...see you in class :)