Friday, December 02, 2005

nearness

End of the week.

Exhaustion.

Ten days from now I begin my three day journey to reach our family beach-house facing the Indian Ocean.

After crossing eight time zones I hope to regain enough of my faculties to make a mug of Earl Grey tea, open the glass sliding door, inhale the salty ocean air as I step out toward the tiled stoep and find a seat with my feet crossed on top of the wooden balustrades.

Sitting down with my legs stretched out in front of me, represent complete contentment.

Nothing to hide or fear or worry about.

Knowing that God is in control.


Marise, my pseudo kid-sister who grew up three houses up the street from my childhood home, sent me these pictures of her unborn daughter who is scheduled to arrive on my birthday in February 2006. Inside this womb, beats a tiny heart with God’s fingerprints all over it. Divine intentions for her skills and dreams one day.


Yesterday joined Thanksgiving 2005 as the best day of my life in the US to date. I can not remember a day in which I had laughed so much and felt so aware of God smiling over me. Tasting life in its fullness.


Today I realized again that wisdom and faith is about taking one day at a time. Being healthy enough to get up and do what I planned to get done without being physically dependent on somebody helping me eat, dress or walk. Having enough food and drink for this day and being surrounded by enough friends to feel loved for today. God is sufficient.


Even with finals looming and assignments due...through zombie moments when my brain stalls from sleep-deprivation and I stare out ahead in the middle of having a conversation...

People may ask me: “How are you doing?”

I can still answer: “Well indeed.”

God is near.

2 comments:

Toph said...

How especially pertinent this time of the semester!!

God is in control!

Tim said...

well indeed.. i love how you combined the chaos of the moment with the hope of future peace to describe the omnipotent power of God.