Thursday, November 10, 2005

ancient girl-talk:according to Ruth

Resting her sore neck against the window sill, she closes her eyes, trying not to cry. Warm water brings relief to her hard feet and the scent of olive oil soothes slows her heartbeat as she breathes deeper―calming herself mentally despite the panic inside. The everyday sounds of rural life drifts into the room on the back of a Fall breeze. Heavy branches move in the dusk and animals settle into their pens after a day’s work. She hears the door open and swallows her tears before they run down her face, not blinking.

“How was your day?”

“Fine.”

“I thought I’d treat you a bit before your big night.”

Wrinkled hands stir the soapy water in the clay basin. They gently take out one foot and dry it off with a warm towel. The sensation of rough salt mixed with some more olive oil and crushed lavender rubbed onto her feet and swollen ankles helps her forget about spending all day in the merciless sun, sweating, working, praying for relief.

“I finished the hem on your dress this afternoon. You looked so lovely in it this morning. We still have time to wash your hair and fix it up just a little bit. Nothing fancy...just special. What do you think? All the way up or just the top bit?”

“I don’t want to go.”

“My darling...why not? Did something bad happen between the two of you today?”

“No. it’s not him. It’s just the whole situation.” She looks out the window at the day waning into royal blue. Sighing deeply, she drops her chin onto her chest and quietly lets the water run over her freckled cheeks. Massaging ointment into the other foot, the old woman silently prays for wisdom.

“Don’t cry my love. We must trust that God knows what He’s doing. He’s brought us this far.”

“I don’t fit here. I can’t see how this could ever work.”

“What happened? You were so excited about tonight before you went to work today.”

“The local women kept on mimicking my accent and I’m done pretending that it doesn’t hurt my feelings. I get so frustrated when they assume I should like and know everything about their foods and traditions. I miss my family and my country when it seems like everybody else knows what’s going on and I don’t.” Stuck in the chair, she sits up straight instead.

“It’s tough. I know what you must feel right now. I had to forsake my country at one time too...but there you became part of my life, now you’re all I’ve got. That’s worth everything I gave up back then.”

“I know. I know.” Her voice cracks as she tries to speak and catch her breath at the same time. “I’m older now. Life has worn me out. What if he decides that he doesn’t want me? What if he finds me too strange to relate to? It’s been so many years since I’ve tried to make an impression like this. I don’t think I can do it.”

“He’s a godly man. If he’s the one God has in mind for you, he’ll choose you, no matter what the price. Trust God to provide what you need at that moment...remember: courage and faith.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great story!!