Tuesday, November 01, 2005

time and expectations

“may he kiss me with the kisses of his mouth…”

says the wisest man in human history through the eyes of his new bride

did she expect him to exchange her for nine-hundred-and-ninety-nine other women?


today my mom began her fifty-sixth year

outliving her two brothers by four years who both died of Muscular Dystrophy

was carrying his bride into the shower part of my dad’s retirement plan?



yesterday I learnt that my god-mother had recently been diagnosed with Parkinson’s

now unable to ride her twenty thorough-bred horses like she used to

how will my god-father adapt his lifestyle to this new season?



last week Friday I met the blind husband of a fellow student of mine

she moves around on campus in her scooter as she suffers of Multiple Sclerosis

did she dream about a husband who needs her help to get to the bus stop each day?



“for her worth is far above jewels, the heart of her husband trusts in her…”

even if I should lose my breast to a mastectomy like my father’s mom did

would he still want to fall asleep with me after decades of late night conversations?



last week Sunday my neighbors' baby girl arrived ten days too soon

today I felt her bunny-soft skin as I touched her cheek two days before her birth day

how many pumpkin breads will she bake in her lifetime here on earth?



back home Jacaranda trees color October in lilac purple – die mooiste mooiste maand

here the streets and houses shine orange, anticipating red and yellow gardens soon

how many cold Novembers remain here for me to share with my American family?



“enjoy life with the woman you love all the days of your fleeting life which He has given…”

says the now wiser man after wasting every good gift he expected to keep forever

would You send me this gift when I stop expecting You to do it?



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful.