Saturday, October 07, 2006

lunacy

20:27

Friday night

Still out of milk

Met with God, my roommate and I

worked through some familiar fears

reminding ourselves about our dignity

Putting on mascara side by side

She’s cooking Mexican,

mediating prenuptial misunderstandings

Alone at peace at 40 miles an hour west down Legacy Lane

Solitary parking space on level three kept just for me

Live Cuban tunes hug my shoulders as I cross the street

Same place, another time, I’d sit myself down, have a Pink Martini.

21:09

Lost in Bono’s teenage memories of Dublin

“Because my definition of art started with:

you put your hands under your skin, you break your breastbone,

you rip open your rib cage…”

Determined to dedicate my blood to the word

Asking strangers for the time at the Angelika

“…If you really wanna write, that’s what you ought to do.

Are you ready for that?”

Chilled beers beg me to take them along for the movie

I opt for a hotdog

and a cherry red cupcake with whipped cream on instead

Bloody Bible belt.

23:52

Credits roll over the Isle of Man

Rowan Atkinson quotes Solomon as the music begins.

Leaving last

tarry in the darkness a minute longer

Dreading reality outside on the sidewalk

I pass a Muslim father walking five steps ahead of his wife

She tightens her black silk scarf beneath her lifted chin

Her young son holds on to her bright orange cuff

Solitude screams when she looks me in the eye,

wordless exchange, I search for the moon

Almost completely full, but not quite yet.

“Desire comes out of wanting what is yours,

and still wanting it even if it’s not there, but it is not envy.”

Good night to U2

And we still have no milk.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great to see that you're posting again, Leani! Keep it coming....

Jacob Glidewell said...

I've found that the "Belt" loosens after a few beers. :)

Zebrasbark said...

something is happening here though!I suspect God is getting tired of the box He's been stuck in for some time...

may we do His Name honor with the priveledged education He granted us here at DTS!